Blogger vs WordPress.com vs WordPress.org – Which is Better?
In this article you will find:
- What is a Blog or Website?
- What is the difference between Blogger, WordPress.com, and WordPress.org?
- What is Blogger?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of Blogger?
- What is WordPress.com?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of WordPress.com?
- Can I earn money or monetize free WordPress.com?
- What is WordPress.org?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of WordPress.org?
- Are WordPress.com and WordPress.org the same company?
- What is the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org?
What is Blog and Website?
A Blog is a part of the Website. Basically, A blog is an online version of a journal and diary. It includes text, pictures, videos, and lots of other documentation. More clearly to say, a Blog is basically a website that any user can make to publish different kinds of information.
On the other hand, A Website is a collection of web pages that is identified by a domain name and published on a web server.
Difference between Blogger, WordPress.com and WordPress.org?
Blogger and WordPress are the most popular blogging platform. You can create a blog for absolutely free on both of these platforms. So you have to only sing up here and you will be the owner of a blogger. You do not need any kind if hosting or domain. But there is a little bit different. When you create a free blog there will be an extra extension like BlogSpot or WordPress.
What is Blogger?
Blogger is created by Pyra Labs and owned by Google since 2003. Launched in 1999. Blogger is one of the best platforms to share information and publish a blog. It is popular in worldwide allowing users to post photos or any documentation. This is the platform of Google. Blogger is an absolutely free tool for creating blogs.
This is the platform where you can share your photos, videos and any kind of information without any budget. Blogger is directly linked to the Google account. Just simply log in to your Google account and create a new blog with a particular Title and Address. The address of your free blog is created with an extension “.blogspot.com”. But if you want to remove the extension and want a personal domain for example “yourname.com” then you have to buy a custom domain ( also known as Top level domain).
What are the advantages and disadvantages of blogger?
Advantages of Blogger:
- Blogger is much easy than any other platform. You can start posting when registering.
- You can use any kind of themes from outside. There are lots of popular and good looking blogger templates for free. You can also purchase their premium version.
- You can upload JPG, PNG or other gif animated pictures and videos.
- There are no storage restrictions. You can use space as much as you can.
- You can use and edit HTML code. SO any changes can be given.
- The most popular and wanted advantage is Adsence. You can get Adsence approval to your free blog on blogger.
- You can use your own domain here anytime. Also known as Top-level domain.
Disadvantages of Blogger:
- You can reedit the HTML code. But if that code does not match with Google formula then Google can delete it.
- You cannot use any kind of software or plugin in blogger like WordPress.
- The information of your blog does not go to the search engine automatically. But the search engine’s spider collects your blog information and send it to the search engine.
What is WordPress.com?
WordPress is free and open-source software used to build websites or blogs. WordPress comes with WordPress.com and WordPress. org. But they are different from each other. WordPress.com is for free blogging experience. There are lots of restrictions here. WordPress.com is the platform for hobby bloggers and those starting a blog for their families. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of WordPress.com.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of WordPress.com?
Advantages of WordPress (WordPress.com):
- You do not need to send blog information to various search engines. WordPress itself does this.
- There are so many beautiful themes you can use. But you have to purchase except some of them. Click here to see.
- You will get 3 GB storage for free. This is enough for blogging. But if you want, you can purchase more storage. If you want to switch to a paid plan for more space. (Personal plan $48 /year you will get 6GB, Premium plan $96/year for 13GB storage, and Business plan for $300/year for 200 GB storage).
- You can transfer to your own server anytime. Or you can buy hosting there.
- You do not need to worry about updates or backups. WordPress.com will take care of that.
Disadvantage of WordPress (WordPress.com):
- For the free version in WordPress.com, you can use only Text, Image, Powerpoint, PDF and some kind of formats. But you can purchase other features.
- You have to use their own theme.
- HTML code cannot be edited. So you cannot customize the page.
- Basically, You cannot earn money by using your blog here. Only Premium and Business plan users can use WordAds right away.
WordPress.com hosting service has 5 plans:
- Free – Very limited.
- Personal – $48 per year
- Premium – $96 per year
- Business – $300 per year
- E-commerce – $540 per year
- VIP – starting at $5000 per year
You can see up to date hosting service plans Click here.
Can I earn money or monetize free WordPress.com?
Basically, WordPress.com does not allow you to monetize your content or run ads on a free WordPress.com blog/website. But If you have lots of traffic on your blog/website, then you can join their own WordAds program and share your ad revenue with WordPress.com. But you have to be a Premium or Business plan user.
You can earn money by affiliate marketing, put some affiliate links on your blog/website (WordPress.com), but that’s about it.
Normally you have very limited options to monetize your content or earn money on your WordPress.com blog/website.
What is WordPress.org?
WprdPress.org is the most popular and well-known website platform. This is 100% free to anyone use. You need your own domain and hosting to use this platform. That’s why it also called self-hosted WordPress. You can do anything with your website here. You can customize it as much as you want. So in WordPress.org, you have full control of your website/blog.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of WordPress.org?
Advantage of WordPress.org:
- WordPress.org is for those people who have no idea about coding. It is free, Open source and super easy to use.
- You have full control of your website. So your site here will not be turned off if anyone take action against their terms and conditions. For example, in Blogger, If google thinks that your content or site is against their policy then they can turn off your site. So in WordPress, you are in full control.
- There are so many free and paid plugins in WordPress.
- You can earn money from publishing ads without sharing revenue with anyone.
- You can customize and redesign your WordPress theme as much as you want with any kind of free and premium theme.
- You can use so many powerful tools like Google analytics.
- E-commerce site is more suitable in WordPress than Blogger.
- You can easily set up and update your WordPress site using 1 click setup and update.
Disadvantage of WordPress.org:
- Budget problem: In WordPress.org you must need web hosting. Without hosting you cannot use WordPress. This is where your site files are stored. The minimum cost around $3 per month. But for a good web hosting, you must buy for a minimum of one year.
- Over Traffic Problem: If you do not have a sufficient budget then it will be a great problem. For example, You bought a low budget web hosting but when you got lots of traffic on your website then your site can be down. Because $3-$5 per month web hosting is normally known as shared hosting and it has minimum Bandwidth (It can be 10,000-50,000 per month).
- Backup: You are responsible for your site’s backup. In Blogger and WordPress.com You do not need to worry about updates or backups. They will take care of that. But Thankfully, There are lots of WordPress backup plugins that will help you with automatic backup.
Are WordPress.com and WordPress.org the same company?
WordPress.com and WordPress.org are not related to each other. People are confused about this question because they both have the same name WordPress. “Matt Mullenweg”, who is co-founder of WordPress also the founder of “Automattic” ( Owns the blog hosting service WordPress.com). There are lots of Automatic employees who are regular contributors to WordPress.org. But WordPress .com and org are totally from each other.
WordPress is owned by “WordPressFoundation” which is a non-profit organization. The goal of WordPress.com is freely available, maintained and developed.
As WordPress Foundation, They say…
“The point of the foundation is to ensure free access, in perpetuity, to the software projects we support. People and businesses may come and go, so it is important to ensure that the source code for these projects will survive beyond the current contributor base, that we may create a stable platform for web publishing for generations to come. As part of this mission, the Foundation will be responsible for protecting the WordPress, WordCamp, and related trademarks. A 501(c)3 non-profit organization, the WordPress Foundation pursues a charter to educate the public about WordPress and related open source software.”
What is the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org?
WordPress.com is just like Blogger and Tumblr. You only need to sign up for an account and choose the template offered, and then you can start blogging. On the other hand, WordPress.org is a website where you have your own domain and hosting.
WordPress.com: This is a platform where you can get a free domain and host to start blogging. You just need to sign up there.
WordPress.org: This is an open-source website software or an operating system for your blog/website. WordPress.org does not cost you anything by itself. You just need your own domain and web hosting to start a blog/website.
Thank you for visiting our website.
If you like this Article
Please share it with your friends.